We believe that craft education should be accessible to anyone with an interest in learning.
The North House Folk School Scholarship fund has been made available through the donations of generous supporters who want to make courses available to all. While anyone with financial need is welcome to apply, the goals of the scholarship program are as follows: to increase the diversity of age and race in our student body; to offer opportunities to local residents of Cook County and Grand Portage, MN; to support the learning of those with professional aspirations in a particular craft area; and to make our programming available to those with financial need.
Scholarships are available at three levels. Please note the level at which you are applying on your application.
- Half: half of tuition and materials.
- Full: full amount of tuition and materials.
- Full+: full amount of tuition and materials and $50 per course day to offset housing/transportation costs.
Scholarship applications may be submitted in one of two ways. Please read the following carefully:
1) DURING COURSE RELEASE PERIODS: Our next Course Release Scholarship Application Opening will begin June 1.
We release new courses a few times a year and open a scholarship application for one month starting the day of the public opening of registration for the new courses. 2022 COURSE RELEASE PERIODS ARE: March 1-31, June 1-30, and September 1-30
2) ON A ROLLING BASIS outside Course Release Periods:
Applications may be requested outside the course release periods noted above IF an upcoming course of interest (no more than four(4) months away) has a space open on the roster.
Click here to request a ROLLING APPLICATION.
How to register as a scholarship applicant for a course and submit your scholarship application:
- STEP 1: All applicants must call our Front Office/School Store at 218-387-9762 and register as a scholarship applicant for their desired course BEFORE submitting either type of scholarship application. This will reserve a spot for scholarship applicants at no charge. Applicants applying during a Course Release Period may be added to waitlists (#5 or lower) as "scholarship applicants" if there is not a space on the roster. This does not apply to ROLLING applications received between our Course Release application periods, for which a spot must be open on the course roster.
- STEP 2: Once you are confirmed as registered as a scholarship applicant, you may proceed to filling out an application. A link will show above for the active application.
What to know about your application review and when you'll hear back:
Any award is pending scholarship funds being made available: if their application is not funded, the student will be notified and their registration will be cancelled.
An individual may receive one scholarship per year maximum. The amount of funding available per year will vary, and is determined by the Board of Directors through the budgeting process.
- Applications submitted during Course Release periods are reviewed after the application is open for one month. Deadlines are posted on this page. Responses (both awards and any denial) for these applications will go out by email about a week after the posted deadline.
- Rolling Applications will receive a response within three days of submission.