Bring our Mission to Life
North House is fueled by the focused efforts and inspired work of our team.
After welcoming several key new additions to our staff team in 2021, we are now actively working to fill two positions key to our work:
North House is fueled by the focused efforts and inspired work of our team. After welcoming several key new additions to our staff team this summer, we are now staffed for the foreseeable future.
Application deadline: Feb 14, 2022 at Noon
Serve in a key role managing student enrollment, addressing student questions, tracking class waiting lists and coordinating enrollment launch dates. Additional duties: front office/school store hosting, daily finance duties and administrative support. Ideal qualifications include experience managing numerous administrative/programmatic details, utilizing financial systems, willingness to assist with varied projects; flexibility; creativity; significant experience utilizing computers data management systems; excellent oral and written communication skills; and a commitment to teamwork. Full time with benefits.
If you are interested in the position, please click here to request a full resource/application packet for the opening.
After you receive the packet, if you have questions about our search process please contact Liv Sulerud, Admin Director at email@example.com.
Artisan Development Program: Cohort VI
Application deadline: March 31st, 2022 at Noon
Program Dates: September 2022 - June 2024 (22 months)
The Artisan Development Program nurtures the growth of the next generation of traditional craft artisans. The program offers: a budget for professional development and mentorship, practice teaching, a living stipend, furnished housing/studio space and regional, national and international connections to institutions and artisans. Applicants with four or more years of work in craft are invited to apply. Read this one page summary to learn more about the Artisan Development Program application process.
Email Alex Blust and Liv Sulerud (Alex is a North House Program Manager and Liv Administrative Director) with any questions.
The 42’ steel gaff-rigged schooner Hjordis is an important resource for North House Folk School, serving as an inspiring visual icon, a dynamic floating classroom, and an important program resource. Weather pending, Hjordis takes up to 6 passengers and 1 crew for 2-hour sailing excursions on Lake Superior.
The Captain will work alongside North House Folk School staff and volunteer crew to ensure passenger safety and comfort, help manage the care and operation of the schooner in addition to advancing the mission of North House Folk School. The Captain is a seasonal contract position for the entire duration or a portion of the time from May 15th to October 1st. Housing is not provided; North House will assist the Captain in pursuing suitable lodging.
Daily Management of Schooner Hjordis
- actively steer and sail the boat with the help of volunteer crew
- participant safety and comfort, “dock talk” & liability waiver management
- assess weather and cancel sails when conditions necessitate
- educate passengers about sailing and Lake Superior as well as interpret North House Folk School’s mission
- conduct pre/post sail schooner system checks and routine maintenance
- manage participant log for sunset/full moon outings
Coordination with North House staff & other Captains
- assist with pre/post-season maintenance
- participate in monthly meetings
- coordinate sailing schedules and maintenance needs with North House staff
Collaboration with Sailing Interns and Volunteer Deckhands
- work cooperatively with interns and deckhands, providing training and coaching
- assist with pre-season training session and ongoing refreshers when possible
Skills and Qualifications
- U.S. Coast Guard OUPV license on Great Lakes and Inland Waters or the equivalent
- significant experience with sailing in general and preferably experience on Lake Superior
- background in education and working with the public
All crew members must be willing to undergo a background check and drug testing in compliance with U.S. Coast Guard regulations.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Matt Nesheim (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Meet the Team!
North House is fortunate to have a talented and invested staff team! Learn more by following these links
Sign up for our eNewsletter to stay in touch and learn about new openings in the future!