On the Hjørdis
Hoist the sails—Hjørdis rides are back! The sailing schedule for the 2023 season is now live and open for booking.
The flagship of the Grand Marais Harbor, Hjørdis shares the name of the mythical Norse goddess of war. Take a trip on this 50’ traditionally-rigged steel schooner and gain access to both the largest lake in the world and experience Grand Marais as it was approached in the centuries before Highway 61 — from the water.
Pricing and Details
DAILY SAILS: Sails will be approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. The rate is $68/passenger. There are additional fees of approximately $3 per ticket built into our booking system.
SUNSET SAILS: Sunset sails are approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. The rate is $65/passenger. The minimum number of passengers is 3; you will have the option to pay for an additional passenger if the minimum is not met.There are additional fees of approximately $3 per ticket built-in to our booking system. Departure times vary based on date of reservation and sunset time.
If you'd like to pay with a North House Gift Certificate, please call the Front Office / School Store at (218) 387-9762.
Reservations can be made online up to one hour before the scheduled sail. Beyond that, call North House for availability. Per Coast Guard regulations, we can accommodate up to 6 guests per sail. Regardless of age (2 months old to 102 years old), each passenger counts towards our 6 guest limit, and therefore must be registered.
A credit card is required at the time of your reservation. Your credit card will be authorized at the time of your purchase, and then charged automatically on the day of your sail. If you do not cancel your reservation more than 48 hours in advance of your scheduled sail, and the schooner heads out, your card will be charged the full amount.
Our captains reserve the right to cancel a sail due to weather, equipment failure, or failure to meet the minimum number of guests. If we do cancel a sail, your card will not be charged. We will do our best to notify you ahead of time that your sail is cancelled, if possible, by phone and email. If you do not get a call from us, assume that your sail is going ahead as scheduled.
Check-in and What to Bring
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your sail is scheduled to depart. There is an outdoor waiting area on the dock under the timber frame. The captain/crew will meet you there for the check-in procedure—no need to check in at the School Store.
- Please dress warmly—out on the lake, the temperature can be 30 degrees cooler than on land. Dress in layers and bring a jacket. Sunglasses, a winter hat, mittens, and scarf are recommended.
- You're welcome to bring snacks or beverages along. Water is a great idea.
- If you're bringing a young person and you or they prefer their own PFD, you're welcome to bring one.
- Dogs do not make good crew members, and are therefore not allowed on the schooner
Our regular courses provide another great way to experience the Hjørdis while building your sailing skills. Our array of sailing classes range from navigation to ropework, basic sailing to multi-day sail training trips to the Apostle Islands and Isle Royale.
Youth Sailing Camps
We also have a Youth Sailing Camps, providing learning opportunities and involving youth in everyday operations of the Hjørdis. See our Community Programs page for more information.