Rosemaling: Shaded Telemark Style & Traditions
Rosemaling means 'rose painting' in Norwegian, and the Telemark region in southeastern Norway is known for the classic look of its painting with asymmetrical scrolls and varied placement of leaves and flowers. In this course you'll study and practice basic techniques of this traditional decorative painting style. Students will begin with a simple project such as a Christmas ornament and move on to a larger project, such as a plate or other woodenware item. Plenty of one-on-one instruction is provided. Age 14+ may take this course with an adult. Adult/child pairs will work on two projects and pay separate materials fees.
PLEASE NOTE: This course is taught in oils. Acrylic painters are welcome but the instructors will not be supplying acrylic paints and mediums.
- The instructors will provide oil paints, other incidental supplies, and a class project such as a plate, or other woodenware item for your use for a fee of approximately $50 collected at the beginning of class. If you bring your own supplies (listed below as optional) and/or project, this fee will be reduced accordingly. Students who bring nothing but a paint shirt and notebook should expect to spend $50 (plus an additional $20-35 if you would like to buy brushes), students who bring their own brushes, paints, and project should expect to spend $15-$35.
- Notebook and pen
- A paint shirt
BRUSHES: (may be purchased from instructor, approx. $20-$35)
- Princeton Heritage (#1 liner)
- Princeton Heritage (#2, #4 and #6) shader (#8 optional but nice to have)
- Palette paper (for mixing paints
- Palette knife
- Paper towels (lint free)
- Walnut alkyd medium or Boiled linseed oil
- Odorless paint thinner or brush cleaner – available at local hardware store
- Tracing paper (available at Vesterheim or at Micheal’s or Hobby Lobby) (for tracing designs)
- Transfer paper (available at Vesterheim) (for transferring designs onto woodenware)
- Liquid Dawn dishwashing soap and vaseline OR pink soap for cleaning brushes
- Jar with cover for paint thinner
- Saran wrap (for paint brushes and covering paints)
ARTIST OIL PAINT COLORS
(Rembrandt brand recommended by instructor unless otherwise specified)
- Mars Black
- Unbleached Titanium White (Williamsburg brand) or titanium white
- Venetian Red
- Prussian Blue
- Burnt Sienna
- Burnt Umber
- Terre Verde Green
- Raw Sienna
- Caput Mortum
- Yellow Ocher
- Cadmium Red Light (optional)
Practice board (cardboard): , painted with two coats of paint. Optional colors: Delta Creamcoat or Americana brand in, midnight blue, Red Iron Oxide, Black, or Dark Forest Green (any of these are fine).