Basic Yeasted Breads
Yeast: it’s the magic ingredient that makes dinner rolls fluffy and gives crusty artisan bread those huge holes. In this course we will focus on breads that use commercial yeast as a leavener. Whether you are a total beginner to bread or you have some baking experience, this course will give students practice in and tips for improving their bread skills along with some new recipes. This class could also be thought of as a general introduction to bread baking: we will be discussing the tools, ingredients, and techniques needed as a foundation for baking almost any kind of bread. Simple, yet tried and true, we’ll bake flatbreads and rolls, sandwich loaves and rustic free-form loaves, and even some sweet treats. Come explore as many different styles of yeasted bread as we can pack into this class! Students age 14 or up may register for this course. This class is fast-paced and involves a lot of standing and kneading dough by hand.
- Writing utensil
- Gallon Ziploc bags or equivalent, large plastic bags, and cloth or paper bags for bringing home various types of breads
- A favorite digital scale and digital probe thermometer
- Notebook, if you are a note-taker
- Favorite toppings for fresh bread to share, such as jams or other spreads (butter and honey will be provided)
- One 9” proofing basket (or colander with tight-weave cotton/linen towel to line it with)